Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 1996 13:38:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        peter@spinner.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org, haertel@ichips.intel.com
Subject:   Re: some questions concerning TLB shootdowns in FreeBSD

> I'm still digesting it,  I am almost worried that we might (shudder!)
> be forced into doing an IPI to stop all the cpu's *before* the
> current cpu changes the page tables, then letting them do the tlb
> flush and letting them proceed.  If this actually is a real problem
> this means a much bigger code impact.

The way that I see it, is that the current pmap code is highly optimized
for single processor operation.  If I was you, I would try to just
try to get something working correctly algorithmically -- almost ignoring
performance issues.  Of course, when performance is easy -- go for that
also.

Alot of things like single page invalidates inside of loops appear that
they could be evil for multi-processor applications (imagine an inter-
processor interrupt for every loop!?!?.)  I think that you (we or us),
will have to look at the performance for the SMP direction, and it
might even entail large differences in pmap eventually.  Hopefully,
we will all be able to isolate the differences for the maintenance of
sanity :-).

John