Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 1996 14:38:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, phk@critter.tfs.com, dyson@freebsd.org, peter@spinner.dialix.com, smp@freebsd.org, haertel@ichips.intel.com
Subject:   Re: some questions concerning TLB shootdowns in FreeBSD

> > This would let us do device/offset as well as vnode/offset based caching
> > (for instance, hanging all cache buffers for vnodes on a device off the
> > device vnode).
> >
> > I've wanted this for some time, since I am determined that vclean must
> > die...
>
> Slightly off subject, but I plan to sometime carry the vnode/offset
> caching to a more generalized scheme that also encompasses device/offset
> caching.  Specifically, device/offset is the same as vnode/offset.
>
> This will allow us to cache data without the vnode.  However, we will
> continue to have the advantages of the current vnode/offset scheme.

This is one of the reasons for murdering vclean: so you can get a cache
hit on perfectly good data which is in memory, but for which the vnode
has been reused, freed, destroyed, or whatever.  Without the vnode, the
perfectly good data can not get a cache hit... it has to be loaded in
from disk again (potentially tromping other perfectly good data that
is also in cache, but is older than the perfectly good data we can no
longer reference -- bletch).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---