Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 15:40:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcsh NIS strangeness

> Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Christoph
> Kukulies had to walk into mine and say:
>

> > I updated tcsh since in the old version of tcsh I was running I
> > had problems with NIS/YP. In the old version typing
> >
> > toots> ls ~jolitz
> > Unknown user: jolitz.
> > (starting a csh and then typing the above gave the expected result)
>
> You either linked tcsh against an old compat version of libc.so or
> you linked it static against an old version of libc.a.

I was already suspecting this (that my tcsh was too old). Thta's why
I recompiled.

> > Now with the just compiled tcsh-6.07-02 I get the follwomg strangeness:
> >
> > toots> ls ~jolitz
> > toots>
> >
> > Only when I once have done a cd ~jolitz ; ls then subsequent
> > ls ~jolitz deliver the expected ls listing.
> >
> > It appears to happen only on the NIS client machines,
> > not the server. The respective home dirs are NFS mounted BTW.
> > The behaviour looks like tcsh directory caching problem.
>
> Is the NIS server also the NFS server? What version of FreeBSD are
> the clients and server running? If you recompile the old version of

The server is running some 2.2-current of 23rd Oct.
The clients are most 2.2 of same vintage, one client is 3.0 one week old.
I believe it wouldn't be possible to me to build an old
version of tcsh now (unless I take an old package of tcsh)..

> tcsh, does that work? If you put user 'jolitz' in the /etc/master.passwd
> database on one of the clients, does it work then? If you leave user

Yes, it works for local users, if they have their home dir on a local
drive or NFS mounted doesn't count.

> 'jolitz' in NIS and give him a dummy home directory on the clients
> (instead of mounting it via NFS) does it work then?
>
> How is the server configured? Are you using /etc/master.passwd as
> the source file for the NIS passwd maps (meaning that the NIS server

I'm using MASTER_PASSWD=/etc/master.passwd all users are kept there.