Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 11:11:48 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        mark@grondar.za
Subject:   Confused about locale

Hi

I am trying to "internationalise" my machine. Seeing that Andrey has his name
in cyrillic,and various other people have ISO charaters in sigs, I thought I'd
try to join the game.

I'm having some luck, but not much. I use MH for mail, and in the body of mail
items I can see the ISO charaters, and sometimes Cyrillic/Japanese get turned
into ISO-chars-with-punctuation.

There seems to be a lack of documentation and/or standards. I am utter
confused as to the difference between locale and NLS, and the difference
between the files in /usr/share/locale, /usr/local/share/nls and
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale

I have the following environment variables set:

LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
MM_CHARSET=iso-8859-1

(some of which I got from PST's patch for MIME headers in MH, and some of
which I have just been playing with.)

Problems:

Various programs screw up with this, Ie

Netscape:
netscape.bin: locale `iso_8859_1' not supported by Xlib; trying `C'.
(I've seen this on other programs, but I can't remember which right now).

MH/EXMH - still do not translate MIME headers. (In the body I get an error
that fonts are unavailable - which is BS)

Any clues?

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE