Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 10:25:08 -0800
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        dicen@hooked.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org Sat Dec 21 10:20:27 1996
> From: dicen@hooked.net
> Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 09:58:25 +0000
> To: Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
> CC: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org,
>         freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.
>
> Nate Williams wrote:
> >

> > That's *NOT* the correct thing.  What happens when for some reason
> > PPP happens to send the sequence '+++' to the modem?  All of a sudden
> > it'll drop into command mode and you're screwed.  User-PPP (as well as
> > all other PPP/SLIP implementations I've worked with) assumes that you've
> > disabled the escape sequence at least temporarily.
> >
> Interesting. But, what exactly is the prabobalitity of that? I will have
> think about this one.

The "+++" sequence is protected by a guard time (the subject of the
Hayes Patent).

The problem of setting up ppp, modems, and in fact, FreeBSD itself is
that it depends upon the user reading all information that may be
required, and not just moving the little arrow thingy over the "install"
button and pressing the left button on the footpad.

CC list trimmed, it's not hard to do.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good