Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 1996 06:10:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, marcs@znep.com, jfieber@indiana.edu, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

David Greenman wrote:

> >> freefall.freebsd.org
> >> /home/mail/archive/
> >
> >Not as anonymous ftp.. :-) We should probably get them back online
> >soon.  I think there's more than enough disk space on wcarchive; about
> >175MB since I just house-cleaned the SNAP (which is superceded by
> >2.2-ALPHA) and 2.1.5-RELEASE trees.  I wonder what the best way of
> >getting them across is going to be though...  rsync?
>
>    I sure hate the ONE-BIG-FILE archive format. I find it almost entirely
> useless. If we were to change it to a one-per-file scheme, it wouldn't be
> such a big effort to keep the stuff in sync (hint: I very much dislike
> copying several giant multi-megabyte files over to wcarchive continuously).

	how about:

	we switch from the one-big file format to monthly files
		named freebsd-questions-199611, for example
	each month a new file is started for each list
	we store the files on wcarchive as well as freefall (or should
		they be in spatter?)
	we can rsync the newest file from freefall/spatter to wcarchive
		each night.  (the older files should not change ;)

	??
jmb