Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:06:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: Need a quick review of some bsd.port.mk changes

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> >  .if (${OPSYS} == "NetBSD")
> >  MD5?=			/usr/bin/md5
> > +.elif (${OPSYS} == "OpenBSD")
> > +MD5?=			/bin/md5
> >  .else
> >  MD5?=			/sbin/md5
>
> Not to condemn these patches in general, but *jesus christ*, can't ANY
> of the 3 BSD OSes agree on where md5 should go? :-( :-(

And, to continue with this, it should IMHO be expressed as:

.if (exists /usr/bin/md5)
MD5?=			/usr/bin/md5
.elif (exists /bin/md5)
MD5?=			/bin/md5
.else
MD5?=			/sbin/md5

...so if we later on decide that we'd better move it to /bin, too, we
don't need to change the bsd.ports.mk again.

> What's our rationale for having it in /sbin again?

The rationale to have it in either /sbin or /bin was IMHO to have it
statically linked and available early in single-user mode.  Probably
the only one who could enlighten us about why /sbin has chosen is Paul
Traina (who's currently away from email AFAIK).

> > +.if (${OPSYS} == "OpenBSD")
> > +FETCH_CMD?=		/usr/bin/ftp
> > +.else
> >  FETCH_CMD?=		/usr/bin/fetch
> > +.endif

.if (exists /usr/bin/fetch)
FETCH_CMD?=		/usr/bin/fetch
.else
FETCH_CMD?=		/usr/bin/ftp
.endif

> > +.if (${OPSYS} == "OpenBSD")
(see above)
> > +EXTRACT_CMD?=	/bin/tar
> > +.else
> >  EXTRACT_CMD?=	/usr/bin/tar
> > +.endif
>
> Bleah..  See md5 comments. :-(

Our tar is also statically linked, but still resides in /usr/bin
nevertheless.  We apparently don't expect people to use a poorly
designed tool for restoring their filesystems, in case /usr is
gone. :-)

--
cheers, J"org