Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 02:53:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        adam@veda.is
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk on freefall

 * My copy back from the mailing list did not have any quoted-printable
 * rubbish in it, and yours only has it where your editor inserts its own
 * line-break. Therefore it must be happening at your end.
 * Oh, you are asking me to shorten my lines. ;)

No, it's your side.  I have been receiving mails with even longer
lines and they don't get converted.

This is probably not a big issue (it didn't happen to this mail, so
maybe it's not a persistent problem on your side), but if you look at
the mail archive on freefall, the mail that I complained about, and
that one only (actually there is one more mail in the freebsd-ports
archive that dates back to May 1995), has this in the headers:

that's why you didn't see the rubbish in the mailing-list copy.

I don't know what the exact problem is, I can send you the header for
both mails if you want to see.  (The copy that came straight to me
plainly said "quoted-printable", maybe I should get a MIME-aware
mail reader.)

 * I think the same applies for 2.1.x as 2.2, right? As I understand it,
 * bsd.port.mk is a key component of the ports system, and whereas ports
 * cannot be guaranteed to build under a less than current system, it is
 * reasonable to allow ports to build where other changes to the system
 * do not prevent it.

But freefall is not a ports build machine! ;)

Let me see, when I upgrade a port, this is what I do.

(on my machine or thud)
cvs co portname
cd portname
<cut, paste, type, hack, slash>
make fetch
make makesum
<some more cut, paste, type, hack, slash>
make clean package
make clean
cvs -q diff -u | less
cvs -q diff -u > t
scp t freefall:
(on freefall)
cvs co portname
cd portname
patch -ps < ~/t
cvs -q diff -u | less (just to be sure)
cvs commit -m 'Upgrade, now it's at 1.2b3 and can display quoted-printables!'
cd ..
cvs -Q rel -d portname

You see that "make makesum" usually happens on the ports
building/testing machine, and it actually opens up a big hole if you
aren't careful, if you do that on freefall?

There.  Now you explain me why you need bsd.port.mk on freefall. :)

Satoshi