Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 09:46:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Resolver Error 0 (no error)

As michael butler wrote:

> > fetch: couldn't open FTP connection to ftp.funet.fi: Resolver Error 0 (no
> > error)
>
> > Hmpf?
>
> Best guess .. fetch is waiting for an authoritative answer and the
> nameservers who would be so are unreachable or not responding,

Well, to the very least, ``Error 0 (no error)'' is a sad joke.  Either
there's an error condition, so there should be an error code, or not.

Anyway, even if so, why does fetch wait for any authoritative answer?
There's a non-authoritative answer avaiable, and all the required data
are there (CNAME record, A record for the host).

I have seen the behaviour of host(1) hanging indefinately before, i
only didn't care.  I'm afraid there's a bug in our resolver code.

--
cheers, J"org