Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:39:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

> > > Truly, when I press the eject button, an "umount -f" operation should
> > > occur on behalf of the FS's mounted on the drive... oh well.
> >
> > I'm afraid you gotta wait for SCSI-4 for this to happen.  AFAIK, the
> > drive doesn't start a transaction on the bus if you press the eject
> > button, saying ``Terry wishes to eject my cartridge right now''. :-)
> > So the system couldn't know, even at best willingness.
>
> <grumble....>
>
> Maybe it could if it were hooked to a PCMCIA card.  8-).

If it were hooked to a PCMCIA card, the kernel would realize it *was*
ejected *AFTER* you physically removed the media which means it would be
tool late to update the dirty buffers.  The only thing the PCIC
controllers buys you is the ability to see insertion/removal request
plus the ability to setup resource allocation a bit differently.

Nate