Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:35:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

> Actually, Terry is lying.  Those boot messages come from a Jaz with no disk
> inserted.  Here's a Jaz with a disk in :

Actually, J"org and I have collapsed two message threads into a
single thread, seperated only by context.  We did the same thing
with the su/getusershell threads, too.

The dmesg I gave was to complain about the driver attempting
geometry recognition without media inserted.

This is totally seperate from the other context of "it takes me
a unnaceptably (to me) long time to actually umount when I umount
immediately following the last close in a series of large writes".

> > I'm afraid you gotta wait for SCSI-4 for this to happen.  AFAIK, the
> > drive doesn't start a transaction on the bus if you press the eject
> > button, saying ``Terry wishes to eject my cartridge right now''. :-)
> > So the system couldn't know, even at best willingness.
>
> Correct; if the drive is mounted, it will have been locked.  There's no
> way for a locked drive to singal its desire to be unlocked.

How about "power cycling rapidly until someone notices the noise"?

8-) 8-).

There's ways to do it; there's probably just no *good* way...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---