Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:10:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net>
To:        shawn@luke.cpl.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pdf?

Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net> wrote:
> Is there a viewer that supports excrypted PDF's for FreeBSD? GV or xpdf
> don't seem to work. :(

If you look at ghostscript's file "pdf_sec.ps" you'll find the comments:

  % pdf_sec.ps
  % Security hooks for PDF reader.

  % This file contains the procedures that have to take encryption into
  % account when reading a PDF file.  There is no actual decryption code here,
  % because U.S. export control laws might prohibit making this file available
  % to anyone outside the U.S. if the code were included.  Instead, you can
  % get the real version of this file from
  %       http://www.ozemail.com.au/~geoffk/pdfencrypt/pdf_sec.ps
  % or, if the ~ character upsets your software,
  %       http://www.ozemail.com.au/%7Egeoffk/pdfencrypt/pdf_sec.ps

Although I've installed the modifications to my copy of Ghostscript 4.3,
I have not (to my knowledge) had an encrypted pdf file upon which
to test them.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@synet.net