Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:25:44 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpd - remote printing with an output filter

Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org> writes:

> > Has anyone got any problems with me making this work ?  It's always
> > irritated me !  It consists of two one-liners to printjob.c.
>
> No,  but I would like to see it happen.  I have several printers hanging off
> a HP JetDirect EX print server and there is no way to run an output filter
> on them.  Consequently, the user must KNOW not to just blindly print to it.
> (sigh).

I was looking thru the handbook the other night while setting up my
printer. Saw a comment that one way to implement a filter on a remote
printer was to make a "virtual" local printer with an "if" or "of" filter
of your choice which ultimately pipes the output right back into "lpr
-Preal_printer". Doesn't seem so hard? I must be missing something.

OTOH, I don't have my Apple LaserWriter NTR working to my satisfaction
either. Used the parallel printer port. Job prints perfectly but the
printer doesn't know its finished so the lights are still flashing and the
Mac can't get in via the LocalTalk port. I'm using a mix of a2ps and lprps.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net