Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:15:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Ajith Pasqual)
Cc:        craig@seabass.progroup.com (Craig W. Shaver), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ST32155W - Not detected during probing!! HELP!!

> Hi!,
>
>  I've been trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.6 from Walnut Creek CD (For the first
> time!!). I've a major problem. Probing does not detect my Hard Disk
> (Seagate ST32155W) when I boot from boot floppy (Floppyless installation

I have one of these working with a tekram390F == ncr875.

del ...

> I've partitioned the disk for Win95 (C:) and for FreeBSD (D:). At this momment

How did you do the partition?  Did you use some utility on the controller?

> During a normal boot SCSI BIOS identifies the SCSI devices correctly :
>
> SCSI  ID #0  : CDROM CR-506
> SCSI  ID #15 : Seagate ST32155W  Drive C : (80h)

Hmmmm, first thing I would do, would be to set the target on the seagate
to id#0, and the target on the cdrom to id#6.  Is this cdrom a wide device?
Or do you have the connector to do wide->scsi II?  I have a 2940uw on the
shelf, and it can do scsi 2 and wide on different cables.  hmmmmm.

ok, anyway, the reason I would move the id# to 0 would be because I have
run into problems with the ncr driver.  In spots the ncr driver does a
target mask using hex 0x07, instead of hex 0x0f.  That meant that targets
8 - 15 were unusable.  I am guessing here.

You may need to send this to scsi@freebsd.org also.

del....

> Boot Target ID ....... 15 (This was 0 earlier - but NO change at all!)

make this 0 again, and pull the jumpers on the hard disk so the id is 0
there too.  set the cdrom out on #6 for now.

del ...

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088