Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:15:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu (David E. Cross)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: best way to back up?

> I am curious as to what the "best" way is to back up to a 8mm tape on a
> different machine.  I have found that (for me) tar seems to be the easiest
> to use, however, I can't get it to do an incremental backup, and it seems to
> choke on some of the "special" files in /dev.  dump/rdump let you me do
> differential backups, but I can only do one per tape?
>
> --
> David Cross
> ACS Consultant

Huh?

Go to the no-rewind device, and set the tape "size" to a rediculously large
number so it never runs out (unless it really does get an "end of media").

We do this all the time, and our regular incremental tapes (run to a DLT)
typically have 30-40 savesets on them.  Before the 8505 Exabytes (7gig
native) got to be too small we used to run these to 8mm; now we go to DLT
30G cartridges, but the only thing that changed was the target.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal