Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:52:17 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, wadlow@pilot.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet options on 2.2-GAMMA

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > The PAO folks have extended the generic code to do alot of these things,
> > but the code in -current (and 2.2) would work if we could find a clean
> > way to hook things in sysinstall.  Both Poul and I hacked on the code,
>
> Hmmm.  If you were allowed to play supreme dictator in sysinstall for a day,
> what would these hooks look like? ;)

There would be a probe for the 'crd0' device having been found, and a
prompt saying "please insert any PC-CARD devices to be used for the
installation   [Continue]".

Sysinstall would then listen for card arrival events and play like
pccardd until the user cancelled the dialog.  The results of
insertions/removals should be shown in a scrolling window somewhere.
It should then rescan for media devices.  This process should also be
selectable from a menu somewhere.

The relevant code in pccardd is actually fairly small, and the card
database ought to compress well.

It should be possible to be smarter (ie. handle installation with
nonstandard cards), but that would require "insert the floppy containing
configuration data for the card XYZZY", which would be More Of A Nuisance.