Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:12:27 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        paul@demon.co.UK (Paul Richards)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl5 modules

>Can we *PLEASE* rethink how this is done in ports. A lot of Perl
>programmers complained at the time this was wrong and I'm complaining
>again.

It also sucks badly that there are a great many ports scattered all over the
place with names matching p5-*

Why not simply bundle them all together in ports/pl/ and of course strip p5-
from the names. (ports/p5/ if preferred)

>The only argument I heard in favour of the current scheme was that if
>some hacker was looking for a package to do something, say web
>related, then they'd probably go and look in www.

That can be done with categories.

>It would be so much easier if "real" perl programmers could go to
>/usr/ports/lang/perl_cpan/ and see immediately if the package they
>want is part of the ports collection or not.

Someone decreed that having a 2-deep hierarchy is a useful convenience,
and the third level would interfere with that.

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>