Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:00:31 -0700
From:      A Rosina Bignall <bignall@aros.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        A Rosina Bignall <bignall@aros.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

> > I tried to install again today, again without success.  However, this
> > time it did not run into that same error.  It seemed to go through the
> > installation fine (though never having successfully installed FreeBSD
> > before, I can only guess what `fine' is), although I did not hear much
> > additional disk activity.  Beyond the basic installation, I did not
> > install any extra packages, etc, I wanted to get a working system
> > first.  However, I did install Xwindows and when I got to the
> > configuration for it, it seemed to think that X was not installed.
>
> Hm.  Try NOT doing ANY post-install, just exit.  You can do any of the
> post-install activities afterwards.

Okay, I'll try it.  Should it boot from the hard disk then, or should
I need to use the floppy.  It never has gone through any questions for
BootEasy (if I remember what it's called correctly), but I don't know
if this is normal or not, since I've always used LILO previously.

> If you try installing again, try the following:
>
> 1.  Delete the freebsd slice and start anew.
> 2.  Keep an eye on the ALT-F2 console during install.  It may be having
> trouble and you're not seeing it.

Okay, I'll watch an install next time.  Hopefully I'll have time to
observe one tomorrow evening.  Is there any way to capture all of it
somewhere since it's a rather long process over a 14.4 modem?

> > Is there somewhere else that I should look for problems that may be
> > occurring or something I should watch for during the install?  I'd
> > like to get a working system soon :/
>
> What install method are you using, I forgot.

2.1.7 via FTP over a PPP link.  And, I've tried both Novice and custom
installs.

> > > Either something was misconfigured or you have some bad memory and/or
> > > processor cache in your system.  You should be able to boot from the boot
> > > floppy though.
> >
> > What might be misconfigured?  The only thing I've changed recently is
> > RAM and that was in December.  The entire system has been working fine
> > since then and up until I started trying to install FreeBSD, so I am
> > at a loss about what could be wrong.
>
> The RAM may be defective then.  DOS and friends are pretty lenient towards
> bad memory, but FreeBSD gives it a real workout and will ferret out any
> faulty RAM.

Actually, I never use DOS/Windoze, I just keep it there for the
occasional time that my brother comes to visit and wants to play games
on it ;).  I've been using Linux and have had no problems with it so
far, although I have had a few more crashes than I used to have, I
figured that that was due to the fact that I changed to a slightly
less stable kernel about the same time that I upgraded the RAM.  But,
just to be sure, do you know of anyway that I can run a good check on
the memory to see if there are any problems with it.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Rosina