Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:55:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anoncvs server

> I want a cvs repository that has a pre-imported "vendor branch" that
> contains the FreeBSD code, and the entire modifcation history of
> FreeBSD as modifications to the vendor branch.  This would keep me
> from losing the history, letting me mix and match what I want.  8-).

You don't understand what a vendor branch is, or you're being silly.
Everything else you ask for depends on this silly concept, so I won't
comment any further.

What you ask for doesn't exist, and won't exist.

> > As changes are made in -current, you can either refuse to 'merge' them
> > into your branch, or merge them in, as has been done with all the YAMFC
> > changes you've seen.  But, since *YOU* are the magic branch maintainer,
> > it is your responsibility to merge them in, nobody but you can do them.
> > In any case, these are the sorts of things you had to do in the past
> > anyway, it's just that CVS makes it (hopefully) easier to do these sorts
> > of tasks.
>
> This is unsatisfactory, because it means that you lose my modification
> history.

No, you're history is still there.

/sys/i386/apm/apm.c

1.1000.1.0
-----------
Branch from FreeBSD-current 12/31/96
-------------------------------
1.1000.1.1
-----------
Re-indent sources
-------------------------------
1.1000.1.2
-----------
Add goto statements galore
-------------------------------
1.1000.1.3
-----------
YAMFC - Bug fix from Nate where he walked on the stack
-------------------------------
1.1000.1.4
-----------
YAMFC - Bring in VM86 support
-------------------------------
1.1000.1.5
-----------
Re-wrote APM to call the VM86 support
-------------------------------
1.1000.1.6
-----------
YAMFC - Merge in the VM86 support from -current now that Nate used my code.
-------------------------------

> > > With the "magic tag" approach, I can only have one set of dependent
> > > patches outstanding at one time.
> >
> > True, but you can't have everything.
>
> That's silly.  I want everything.  Why can't I have everything?  It's
> just code...

I refuse to be baited into this argumement.

> > What you have now is orders of
> > magnitude better than what you had to do before.  And, assuming you've
> > kept things 'separate' *you* should be able to pull out the relevant
> > changes as needed.
>
> Yes; this is the seperate tree issue, given the lack of "magic tags".

No, this is what you have *today* w/out a separate tree.

You still don't understand what you have, and want something that
doesn't exist, and will never exist in the manner you want.

Nate