Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 06:38:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers, ponds!clinet.fi!hsu
Subject:   Re: kern/2923: panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: f6e21000

> This problem is exactly the same as bad dir panic, it just freaks out
> differently.  The panic always occurs at the above point, with wrong data
> (usually seems contents of a some file) in a block the directory lookup
> routine thinks is part of a directory.

 Yep - that's exactly my dup alloc and bad dir panic.

> Access to this and 4-5 other dumps on the subject is available on request I
> do not have space for more than 4-5 dumps on-line.  They seem to always be
> from the same problem, so there should be good material to find
> similarities from to solve this.

 Well - not to discourage you; I've been looking for a year and haven't
found it :-)

> >How-To-Repeat:
>
> Run a news server with 2.2.  Full feed and bunch of readers (around 100
> max, but panics usually occur with less load).  Expire articles one-by-one
> to keep the free disk space at certain limit instead of running traditional
> expire.  The latter may contribute to the problem, as I got metoos for
> this.
>
> This same problem happens with all machines, but the problem is very rare
> with unloaded machines.

 I believe it to be a timing problem in the kernel.  A heavy load just
gives you a greater opportunity (as a percentage of time) to trip over
the problem.  Again; this also happens on my extremely lightly loaded
(i.e. only a shell) system I put together just to reproduce this problem.

	- Dave Rivers -