Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 13:35:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, bde@zeta.org.au, dgy@rtd.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De
Subject:   Re: wd driver questions

> There are?  We haven't yet established where "the front of the disk"
> is yet.  It's not safe (or reliable) to try to rewrite the MBR (virus
> protection), or the slack space following (some other systems put
> bootstraps there).  Then the next cylinder might be a partition.

Override the virus protection.

> DOS can be booted from lots of places; think "network boot", or "floppy disk".
> So can FreeBSD; there is no guarantee there at all.

In any case, the boot device is known.

> > it means no recompilation to support config options, as long as we
> > get rid of the static compilation issues in shared code (#if FEATURE > 1)
> > and so on.
>
> This is actually a huge issue; the assumption that devices are
> numbered from 0->(NFOO-1) is another wart that I would like to rip.

Yes.  This should go.  So should all configuration options that
cause conditional compilation of code rather than conditional
inclusion of objects in the link which extend a global linker set.

If you get rid of conditional compilation, and leave only conditional
inclusion, then you remove the need for recompile on conditional
changes, and it becomes a binary/linker issue *only*.  This is a *good*
thing.

> Of those, remembering that this is a program's text file, I can only
> see 1) and 3) being any use, ie. the 'readable' bit is pointless.

That's the bit.  I won't argue utility of microsoft definitions, since
I'm not willing to play Devil's advocate for their engineering process,
such as it is.

> > Yes.  The utility of the attributes at boot time is to decide to
> > load a particular segment or not.  Preload is the most interesting
> > attribute in this regard; it should probably be implied on non-pageable
> > segments.
>
> Hmm.  The nature of the boot-time linking process would probably imply
> that all of the objects in question would have to be loaded, as there
> would be no paging mechanism by which unloaded sections could be
> loaded until after the system was up, and possibly not even then
> (eg. boot from network server, no kernel core locally).

They *could* be sparsely loaded.  You do not need paged memory
management to support partial loading (look at Win3.1 DLL's).

> Yeah.  And don't get me started on getting technical literature out of
> hardware vendors.  You have any details on the "Apollo Utility chip" in
> the HP9000/4xx machines? 8)

No, and I own one of the suckers (yeah, I've seen you on the NetBSD
list for the HP300 code).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org