Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 20:17:50 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X11 programming...

I know I should get a book, but I haven't figured out which of the available
books are good.  Any hints here would be appreciated (cost isn't really a
very big issue; <= US$500 would be great).

So, I thought I would see how far I could go just reading the man pages.
Basically, I am just trying to get a window (white... or actually _any_
background) up on the screen.  This is as far as I have gotten, but I just
can't seem to get the window to display.  I don't get any compile errors or
run-time errors (anymore :-), but still I get nothing.  I wonder what I am
missing?

/*
 * xtest.c: testing X functions...
 */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#include <sysexits.h>

#include <X11/Xlib.h>

int
main(void)
{
    Display *disp;
    Window root;
    Window mainwin;
    int scrn;
    unsigned long black;
    unsigned long white;
    char *display;

    display = getenv("DISPLAY");
    if (!display)
	display = ":0.0";

    if (!(disp = XOpenDisplay(display))) {
	fprintf(stderr, "Error: Could not open the '%s' display.\n", display);
	exit(EX_UNAVAILABLE);
    }

    scrn = DefaultScreen(disp);
    root = RootWindow(disp, scrn);

    white = WhitePixel(disp, scrn);
    black = BlackPixel(disp, scrn);

    mainwin = XCreateSimpleWindow(disp, root, 10, 10, 150, 50, 2, white,
	white);
    XMapWindow(disp, mainwin);

    sleep(5);

    XCloseDisplay(disp);

    return 0;
}

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com) | ALL unsolicited commercial email
/var/spool/news is 110% full,             | is unwelcome.  I avoid dealing