Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 08:06:59 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject:   Re: Some significant (daresay serious) problems with 2.2.1 install & keyboard

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> P.S. Fix your mailer please - it emits very bogus addresses!  I also
> don't see the need for a UUCP account in this day and age.

UUCP is the only reliably working (and fully automated/automatable)
batch file transmission protocol.  The Internet has absolutely not
been designed for dialup sites.

I'm getting all my mails, CTM deltas etc. via UUCP (which is sometimes
run over TCP if i happen to be directly connected to the Internet by
that time).  I probably had a much harder day if UUCP weren't
available.

David's problem is Data General's mailer setup at dg-rtp.  As i
understand it, he's using this service for free (and withouth the
agreement to receive spam :), and nobody's ever going change anything
on DG's side... ;-)  (I used to have similar address mangling problems
back in the time when my employer used DG machines, until i revamped
the sendmail.cf from scratch.)

--
cheers, J"org