Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 12:34:07 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/3233: adduser(8) doesn't add users to the wheel group

On Tue Apr  8 19:00:03 EST 1997, Pedro Giffuni writes:
>  David Nugent wrote:
>  >
>  > Known problem. You *need* to be in /etc/group since that's
>  > all that su looks at, not the primary group for the user.
>
>  Yes.. thanks, I corrected my particular case, but the bug is still in
>  adduser ;).

No, there's no bug. If you tell adduser to make 'wheel' your
primary group, it should not put your name in /etc/group on
the 'wheel' line. /etc/group is for secondary group memberships
only.

pw(8) has this same "bug", but it isn't a bug - it is 100%
correct behaviour. Use a different group for your primary
group and add yourself to wheel as secondary. initgroups()
automatically adds the primary group to your groups list at
runtime.

David