Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 11:50:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: detecting kernel version at compile time

> Hmmm, can __FreeBSD_sysversion be made the same value as __FreeBSD_version ?
> (or vice versa)

The easiest way is to install only RELEASE version of the OS, and don't
update your kernel or user space sources until the next RELEASE.

It turns out that that also happens to be the easiest situation for
a commercial vendor to support, so everyone gets to be happy.  8-).

> The problem with __FreeBSD__ is that it is defined by cc - or gcc/pgcc.
>
> That is, it depends on what system the compiler is built, not what OS
> it is running on.
>
> Problem being, it impacts every compilation thereafter.

I do not use the __FreeBSD__ tag, personally.

There is *some* use of the tag in the NFS cokkie code, since there
is an inversion of operation order between FreeBSD and Net/OpenBSD.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---