Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 01:13:58 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/3233: adduser(8) doesn't add users to the wheel group

As David Nugent wrote:

> >  Yes.. thanks, I corrected my particular case, but the bug is still in
> >  adduser ;).
>
> No, there's no bug. If you tell adduser to make 'wheel' your
> primary group, it should not put your name in /etc/group on
> the 'wheel' line. /etc/group is for secondary group memberships
> only.

adduser(8) at least used to have this bug that if you added the user
to primary group `wheel', it didn't offer you the option to also put
it into the secondary group `wheel'.

> pw(8) has this same "bug",

Are you sure?  (Well, as the author of pw(8), you should be sure. ;-)
At least, it offers both, -g and -G, so it should be possible to
say

	pw adduser mmblfrtz -g wheel -G wheel,operator

I agree that the `wheel' case is very special here.

--
cheers, J"org