Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 01:40:52 -0700
From:      Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <pavlin@catarina.usc.edu>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel remote debugging using gdb

> As Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov wrote:
>
> > I need to do remote debugging of the kernel, but I am using the
> > first serial port as a serial console. How can I specify/change the
> > target machine to use the second serial port for remote debugging
> > purpose? Changing CONADDR and CONUNIT will affect the serial console
> > too, right?
>
> Bruce once mentioned that you need to patch sio.c.  I gave up that
> idea, and simply disabled the serial console whenever i need remote
> gdb.  Boot with -d, then add 0x10000 (RB_MUTE) to the value of
> `boothowto', type `gdb', and continue.  If you wanna switch back from
You mean "write boothowto+0x10000 to cn_mute", right?

However, maybe I wasn't very clear in my first email:
The PC has two serial ports. The first one is connected to a Digi
Portserver and is used as a serial console (no monitor, no
keyboard). The second serial port is connected to another PC and it
is the port I want to use for remote debugging. Thus I need
explicitly to specify that I need to use the second serial port to
debug instead of the default first one.

Because by doing the above procedure, the target kernel is still
trying to use the first serial port for the debugging purpose.

Pavlin

P.S. The OS is FreeBSD 2.2.1