Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:45:17 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au, abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us, adrian@staff.psinet.net.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to hook into user logins / logouts ?

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > Not really.  I'm attempting to determine where the door(s) are so that
> > I can put locks on them.
>
> Or alternate locks.

More accurately, a modular, configurable locking and door-user
counting system.

> For "correct" code, given the currently accepted implementation methods,
> the "in" door is "login" and/or "login -f".

xdm does not appear to use login.

> The "out" door is "init", as it reaps a process which is a group leader
> which it inherited from "getty exec's login execs group leader".

... and if it reaps a self-made group leader?

> Why do you need an "out" door?

Accounting.  Consider a provider wanting to bill for time spent online
by a user.

> my recommendation is "login" forks instead of execs, and hangs around
> as the session manager, but not the process group leader.  This requires

Yeah, although that makes stuff fairly messy.  Right now, the utmp
modifications happen in (mostly) the right places (except for xdm), so
I'll probably be following those.