Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 11:09:03 +0200
From:      Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1-RELEASE /dev/console

On Wed, Apr 16, 1997 at 03:53:58PM +0200, grog@lemis.de wrote:
> > (i have the terminal on /dev/cuaa0 unplugged because i need it elsewhere)
>
> This makes me wonder why you want the console on /dev/cuaa0 in the
> first place.  What do you want to happen to these messages?

I want the console on /dev/cuaa0 because i want to be able to fix the
system in case of trouble by just bringing my DOS-386-Laptop with serial
cable and terminal program - so i dont have to get an big&heavy VGA
monitor over here :-)

> If you want to drop them in the bit bucket when the console is
> unplugged, you could try a
>
>   # stty -f /dev/cuaa0 clocal
>
> and see if that works.

Ah thanks, I'll try that asap :)

                          I believe there is also an ioctl for resetting
> the console to another device, but I don't have sources here to play
> around with.  Let me know if you're interested.

Yes, sounds interesting.... but on the other hand, i could have had that
idea myself :) - i guess that's exactly what xconsole does, doesn't it ?

CU,
    Sec
--
            " mit ISDN kann man im Internet schneller warten "