Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 10:17:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        black@zen.cypher.net (Ben Black)
Cc:        kory@avatar.com, brownie@earthling.net, csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quad Pro 150 motherboard?

> and the point is that quad CPU boards are expensive because the demand
> for them as anything but servers (and as servers too, really) IS ALMOST
> NONEXISTENT.  look at all the extra costs of going from 2 to 4 CPUs on a
> board: you can't fit all 4 on the mainboard, so dauthercards are
> required, all schemes for this are proprietary.
>
> so whether or not *you* can use it is not the issue.  the fact is you are
> greatly in the minority and you know it.  think of yourself as the
> exception that proves the rule.

The PPro's are stackable without additional electronics external
to the processor.  This makes it a *lot* easier to do multiple
CPU's up to large numbers.

Personally, I'd like a 32 processor machine; of course, that means
fixing the kernel so that it doesn't bog down on interprocessor
synchronization, starting with the allocation mechanism and a
hierarchical lock manager.

My goal would be to have incremental compiles going on in edit sessions
so that when I was done editing, the code was read to run.  I hate this
"wait for the compile" BS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---