Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 01:32:53 +0100
From:      nbc@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        nbc@neophyte.dweeb.net
Subject:   FreeBSD As Motor Controller?

Dear all,

I am currently in the process of implementing an embedded motor control
system using a well know real-time UNIX, which has turned out to
be slightly overkill. The system is soft real-time, which made
me wonder if FreeBSD would be up to the job - I envisage a stripped
down system, running on PC/104 hardware (already tested with F/BSD),
the drivers residing at device level, preferably in LKM format.

At the moment we are using stepper motors, although this may change
in the future, driven by pulses generated from an I/O board on the
ISA bus. My major concern with FreeBSD is interrupt latency, which
is excellent with the current system. Given that we are using 100MHz
Cyrix 586 CPUs, I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a ballpark
figure on the latency, and indeed the typical variations in such one
would expect from a lightly loaded system, or perhaps some way to
determine this for myself.

I've read the device driver writer's guide on the Freebsd www site,
which claimed it was for those familiar with the standard UNIX device
driver model, which I am not; as a final favour, could anyone recommend
a decent book or two for those intending to learn? My only recollection
of such literature is an old Sun/3 manual, read many, many years ago :-)

Thanks in advance for all your help, please do not hesitate to
ask if any further information is required.

--------
Neil Clark
Transparent Telepresence Group
http://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/nbc