Date:      Fri, 02 May 1997 08:54:10 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current build is now broken..

In article <25335.862526471@time.cdrom.com>,
Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:
> Also, as I said, now that we're *bootstrapping* many 3.0 builds from
> 2.2 ones there are even more issues involved and, while I'd love to be
> able to say "chicken and egg, install a 3.0 machine to make 3.0
> releases and simplify the makesfiles", I simply don't have the
> resources to have *both* 2.2 and 3.0 release building machines
> available at the moment (though it'd sure be nice) nor do, I believe,
> the other release engineers.  That's another one of them-there
> "real-world constraints" I mentioned earlier. :-)

I think it is reasonable to require that it be possible to bootstrap
a make world for 3.0 on a 2.2 machine.

But I do not think it is reasonable to require that it be possible
to bootstrap a make _release_ for 3.0 on a 2.2 machine.

The changes that might break a make release aren't just confined
to the *.mk files and /usr/src/Makefile.  There are many other
potential problem areas.  Any changes to include files, libraries,
compiler, assembler, linker, c*rt0.o files -- any of them might
cause bootstrapping problems for make release.  When you include
all the problem areas, suddenly 90% of the developers are working
in the area of risk.  Most developers (myself included) don't
understand make release well enough to feel confident of avoiding
problems in this area.  Not to mention that they don't have the
time or machine resources to test release builds.  (My -current
building machine is a 486.  It takes >>12 hours just to do a make
world.  *sob*)

Whereas a make world is essentially a system upgrade that will be
done by many users as well as developers, a make release is a very
specialized operation that is likely to be done by only a few
release engineers and nobody else.

I understand the following point about lack of resources:

> I simply don't have the resources to have *both* 2.2 and 3.0 release
> building machines available at the moment

But it seems that you are asking most developers themselves to
acquire exactly those resources, or to have one of the few (3?)
release engineers review any changes to *.mk, /usr/src/Makefile,
include files, libraries, compiler, assembler, linker, ... creating
a very narrow bottleneck indeed.  Wouldn't it make more sense to
solicit whatever contributions are needed to put the required
resources (3 disk drives total?) into the hands of the few release
engineers, so that they can have release building machines running
-current?

John