Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 13:43:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   disklabel and disktab

Greetings!
     Apparently, one complete track is set aside at the start
of the disk (for "compatibility with other OS's"??).  It appears
that this is *only* a track and NOT a complete cylinder.  The
disktab entry reflects this in the size of the 'c' partition
(i.e. being exactly one track's worth of sectors smaller than
the *actual* size of the disk).  But, I can't see where the
"missing sectors" are accounted for -- i.e. why aren't any
of the "offset" parameters set to reflect this "one track worth
of sectors"??
      Also, is there any particular advantage to *where* the
swap (or any other partition) happen to be physically located
on the disk?  I imagine the *ideal* would be to locate the swap
in the center of the media (?) -- assuming sectors correlate
with physical locations...
     Lastly, aren't the actual geometry related parameters for
the disktab "meaningless" for SCSI devices?

     Thanx!
--don