Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 11:06:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        current@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usregsite.com

> guess that i am getting a little over-zealous in looking for spam.

I had an idea the other day while trying to learn procmail...

Why not have a spam registry mailing list? Here's the idea:

 - Any time you get a SPAM email, you forward it to the list
   "moderator", which can either be a human or a perl script.

 - The "moderator" extracts the relevant identifying information
   from the SPAM email (e.g, a certain domain name in the "From"
   address, etc). Here we need a good algorithm or else a
   knowlegable human.

 - The moderator keeps a database of all spam sites, etc. This
   list is kept updated by subscriber emails (as described above).
   In addition, the moderator can also set up a decoy email address
   that (s)he TRIES to get on every spam mailing list possible.
   Email sent to this decoy address can also be used to fortify
   the database.

 - Each day you receive via email a procmailrc(5) file snippet that
   will send all mail coming from any of the registered spam sites
   to /dev/null (or perhaps your favorite email enemy).

 - Your personal ~/.procmailrc file automatically saves the
   daily update to ~/.procmailrc-antispam, which is included
   by ~/.procmailrc using the procmail include thing.

 - Voila, THE MASSES FIGHT BACK!!

Any takers??

-Archie