Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 18:38:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NEW FEATURE.. RFC will commit unless....

I would like feedback on a new feature I want to add to the
filesystem code.

In addition to the immutible and append flags, we at whistle are
using a flag NOUNLINK

The action of this flag is to allow the file or dir in question
to be modified in any way but never deleted.

There are several places we find this to be of use..
but the basic usage is to ensure that a particular
skeleton of directories and files remains untouched, even while allowing
new files to be added and deleted TO that hierarchy, and while allowing
some users administrative privs in that hierarchy.

The changes are simple and easy to follow.
I can forward  them to anyone for inspection. I will also put them
on ref.tfs.com /incoming/NOUNLINK.
these are relative to 2.2 as that is what we are using in production,
however I will commit them to -current if I get no violent objections.

I would ALSO like to add them to 2.2 as they can easily be shown to be
non interfering to any file without the new flag set, and that all conditionals
affected, are such that this is an entirely new behaviour and 100% compatible
for allpeople not using this feature.

comments?

tomatoes?
potatoes?