Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 09:20:26 EDT
From:      n9ogk@juno.com (Jack W Doyle)
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   audio-related (audio CD loudness, rtprio au)

I have a few questions:

1) In Lose95, the audio CD output is quite loud and scratchy
(scratchiness is from the driver in Lose95 -- I'm not worried about it),
but in FreeBSD 2.1.7, I have to turn up the volume so I can hear it.  Is
it due to my SB16 card, or is there a way to tell it what MIN_VOL value
to use in relation to MAX_VOL?  I am using xcdplayer.

2) This is somewhat related to above question, but not entirely.  Is it
possible to use 'rtprio 3 au -audio <hostname>:0' and then have the audio
server look up user-defined settings for the audio server?

3) How do I get sound output to work on games like xboing, xgalaga, and
other X games?  Currently, I've been able to get the sound to work on
xboing only once and that's it.  I did this by using the -debug option,
but was not able to repeat the effect.  Otherwise it says it has problems
writing to sound device and being unable to flush sound device (yes the
soundcard is configured properly).

4) Is there a better approach to having sound than using NAS for a
single-user machine?

I appreciate having my questions answered.  Thanks in advance.

Jack

The faster your computer is, the slower your life becomes.