Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 19:46:23 -0400
From:      "Donald J. Maddox" <root@scsn.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports 'make install' and mtree

On Wed, Jun 04, 1997 at 09:23:39AM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> >    I have observed for quite a while now that whenever I do a 'make install'
> >of a port, the ownership of /usr/local gets changed to root:wheel, and when
> >I do a 'make hierarchy' from /usr/src, it gets changed back to bin:bin.
>
> This is caused by:
> - /usr/local is owned by bin:bin    according to /etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist
> - "."        is owned by root:wheel according to /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist
> - `make hierarchy' goes through the mtree files in a strange (alphabetical)
>   order, so BSD.local.dist is done before BSD.usr.dist.
>
> It's reasonable for mount points to have different permissions than the
> root directory of mounted file systems, but the difference is probably
> backwards here.

    Ok, thanks for explaining this so clearly...  It's not really a problem,
but it was driving me crazy trying to figure out why it was happening :-/

> >    Why does a 'make install' of a port change the ownership to something
> >other than what mtree(8) thinks it should be?  Should it be doing this?
>
> `make install' runs mtree on /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist and doesn't run
> it on BSD.usr.dist.
>
> This is better than pkg_add, which runs mtree on stale copies of
> BSD.local.dist in packages, so that you can't fix this problem or
> others in your local copy of BSD.local.dist.
>
> Bruce

Blech.  Yet another good reason not to use packages.  I never use packages anyway,
since I run -current, and -current has a tendency to break 'em and require a
recompile anyway :-)