Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:19:03 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        dmaddox@scsn.net, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports 'make install' and mtree

> * This is caused by:
> * - /usr/local is owned by bin:bin    according to /etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist
> * - "."        is owned by root:wheel according to /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist
> * - `make hierarchy' goes through the mtree files in a strange (alphabetical)
> *   order, so BSD.local.dist is done before BSD.usr.dist.
>
>I didn't know that `make hierarchy' uses BSD.local.dist....

You were right, it doesn't by default :-).  It only uses it if MAKE_LOCAL
is defined, and it does it last in that case.  I was looking at `make
distribution'.  Anyway, `make hierarchy' sets the ownership of /usr/local
to bin:bin.

> * It's reasonable for mount points to have different permissions than the
> * root directory of mounted file systems, but the difference is probably
> * backwards here.
>
>Which way should I fix it?  (I was about to ask you, Bruce. :)

Make all mount points and root directories owned by root:wheel.

> * `make install' runs mtree on /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist and doesn't run
> * it on BSD.usr.dist.
>
>This is by design.  Unless you can run it on BSD.usr.dist but only
>for the "local" directory, I don't think we would want to add that.

This is just correct.  `make install' shouldn't touch anywhere outside of
/usr/local.

> * This is better than pkg_add, which runs mtree on stale copies of
> * BSD.local.dist in packages, so that you can't fix this problem or
> * others in your local copy of BSD.local.dist.
>
>This is again, by design.  The problem is meant to be fixed at the
>package-creation machine, not in individual users' machines.

This is just broken.  Installing packages shouldn't touch anything not
directly used by the packages.

Bruce