Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 20:31:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3940uw with long cables

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote...

> Perhaps.  There are a few important things to keep in mind when
> tuning the bus length.
>
> 1) Having equal distances between all devices is sometimes more
>    important than total bus length since the varying RC constants
>    can cause strange signal skew conditions if the lengths aren't
>    matched.

In addition to this: don't use both the internal and the external
connector of a SCSI adapter (assuming the internal & external
connector are on the same bus). The differences in external versus
internal (flat)cable are also no-good.

> 6) Honor the 6m and 3m bus length limits.  6m is the longest for 10MHz
>    and 3m is the longest for 20MHz single ended SCSI.  This assumes
>    proper stub/gap matching, so real life buses may need to be shorter.

Hm. The company I work for (==DEC) uses the rule that a single ended
F10 (10MHz) bus can be a max of 3 meters.

Wilko