Date:      Mon, 09 Jun 1997 21:04:52 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fastest possible FreeBSD system?

Hi,

> > 233mHz PPros, now that the PII is available, and intel is struggling to make
> > the PII look attractive from a performance point of view.
>
>   I thought the PII was intented to a consumer level product, while the
> PPro was the server/workstation product?  The smaller cache, and new cost
> saving chip packaging seems to point towards targetting the consumer
> market.

The cache isn't smaller, just slower.  Since a PII-233x512 will outperform
a PPro-200x512, and is already considerably cheaper, I don't see a
consumer vs server distinction (even if intel sales might want us to think so).
It's not clear to me yet whether the PII will support a quad setup, but
dual boards are available now.

Intel Pentium II 266 512K     $888
Intel Pentium II 233 512K     $748
Intel Pentium Pro 200 512K    $1072
Intel Pentium Pro 200 256K    $525

---
>  What about the difference between a PPro with 256k onchip cache, as
>opposed to 512k onchip cache?

I haven't seen anything definative on this yet.  Since you can't turn off
the top 256k cache its hard to find otherwise identical setups for a fair test.
--
Steve Passe	| powered by