Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:21:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        vas@vas.tomsk.su (Victor A. Sudakov)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NT4 ISP

 > And in my /etc/rc.local:
 >
 > /sbin/ifconfig lo0 inet 192.168.1.1 alias
 >
 > What is the reason of recommending against this assignment? What is wrong
 > with it? Note the "alias" parameter I use. Thus, lo0 has two addresses.
 >
 > It works fine, I can ping vas.tomsk.su even if I am offline. It does not
 > prevent me from using ppp because 192.168.1.1 is associated with lo0 and has
 > nothing to do with tun0.

But it really didn't add any value.  You can simply achieve the same
result by adding your "hostname" as an alias to the standard loopback
address in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1	localhost vas.tomsk.su

Now you can ping vas.tomsk.su, it will resolve to the the standard loopback
address, and you don't need to create a virtual network that isn't there.