Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 17:09:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcement: New DPT RAID Controller Driver Available

As garyj@frt.dec.com wrote...

> jkh@time.cdrom.com writes:
> > Unless, of course, they had something like the AMES wind tunnel
> > providing forced airflow past the drives, then I suppose the plastic
> > sled construction wouldn't really matter much, would it? :-)
> >

> basically, the Storage Works thingies from DEC _do_ have a wind tunnel :)
> I have one of these things at home and it has 2 large fans on the back
> pushing (or pulling ?) air.

Pulls air from front to rear thru the SBB (storage building block)

> I've seen some pretty big RAID arrays here at DEC, all made using
> plastic enclosures. They work good (although I have to agree with

Metalised plastic, to keep within FCC req's

> an earlier poster that those flimsy flex connections are pretty cheesy
> and *so* easy to ruin).

You are not supposed to get your hands on them... Newer SBBs have
'warranty void' stickers on them to keep people from opening them.

If you want a really fragile flex check out a TZ8[67] DLT tape drive
in an SBB. But kidding aside: you need to be careful with the flexes,
but apart from that it works just fine.

Wilko (aka wilko@storage.jgo.dec.com ;-)