Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:30:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        wosch@apfel.de (Wolfram Schneider)
Cc:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De, FreeBSD-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/3924: de.spinne-1.0.0

> Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De> writes:
> > 	This is a digital circuit simulation program.
> > 	The language of spinne is currently German. That's what the "de."
> > 	prefix is supposed to signal.
>
> May be we should create the new collection ports/german?

Well, I don't think that ``spinne'' allone justifies a new category.
Its docs and help being German is rather a deficiency and
should as such not give birth to a new collection. If this program
is wanted by non German users I will translate it (as well as I
can) and offer both languages to get rid of the ``de.''. The language
used will be controlled by the LANG environment variable.

I'd prefer a category ``computer-science'' (similar to math, astro,
etc...), where ports like mixal and spinne of high educational
value and little practical use :-) would find an appropiate home.
There should be more spin offs from ``Programmierpraktikum'', which
are part of the German computer science curriculum, and from similar
classes in other countries as well.

In there should be a decent Pascal interpreter, (it's still the
primary notation in `Informatik' education) and may be a Turing
machine or some really cute algorithm well animated.

This collection could add some value to FreeBSD in schools.

But for the time being, I would be happy if someone would commit
this port, the mocka-95.02 port (ports/3815) and fix the xview-lib
(ports/3927).

(spinne is written in modula-2 and uses the currently broken xview-lib)

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang