Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 22:45:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP and CVS branches: bug?

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > Half-serious suggestion... why not ask Perforce if they would like
> > to "donate" their source management system for FreeBSD's non-commercial
> > use? Not likely, but anyway here's a ref to it:
>
> They've already offered us the server for $1 on freefall and an
> unlimited number of clients, for whomever wants to use the repository
> maintained there.  Any other group using FreeBSD non-profit also gets
> the same $1/server deal, so they can run their own repositories.
> Our CVSmeister personally likes perforce.
>
> Truly, the barriers here are not technical or financial, they're
> political. :-)

I disagree.  There are many 'technical' features that CVS gives us that
aren't available in Perforce, or are done in a much different fashion.
That, and the documentation is pretty non-existant.  When I
reviewed/evaluated Perforce for work, the lack of decent documentation
was my final sticking point, and even the developers agreed that it
needed work.  (Though, they were real good about providing specific
answers to specific questions I had regarding the product, but that
doesn't work well with a bunch of developers who are fairly naive when
it comes to SCM's).

That was last Fall, so things may have changed since then.

Nate