Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 23:51:36 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hans@brandinnovators.com
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

> And Xi Graphics seems to have ignored my comment about just using the
> existing framework and adding /usr/{local,X11R6}/etc/rc.d/foo.sh to
> run ldconfig.sh and any other startup stuff.  The -m flag to ldconfig
> was added for a reason.

I agree; this mechanism seems to work pretty nicely for both ports/packages
as well as local software.

> See what the modula-3-lib port does.  I don't think an /etc/ld.so.conf
> is necessary (much less /usr/local/etc/ld.so.conf).  I propose backing
> it out.

I've used it locally to handle [incr tcl] which is installed in a different
location and it sure beats having to edit a file, etc.  And using the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d script, you can invoke arbitrary policy (see if a
directory that might be on removable media exists, etc) before adding
directories to the list.

It seems like to opportunity to render you machine inert with a badly
"automatically" edited /etc/ld.so.conf file compared with the existing
mechanisms argue against this new approach.

louie