Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:56:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yet another snap of the sound code...

I have put another snap of my code on the sound driver. Note that
I cannot test the code since I don't have a working system yet (my
test machine, a Intel Zappa with a CS4232 PnP device on board,
hangs as soon as I issue the reset command to the soundblaster port :)
Since I cannot find the data sheets of the 4232 I am out of luck for
the moment...

But I have successfully built, booted and run (without using the
sound drivers) a kernel with all the drivers compiled in.

There is a wide choice of formats at

    http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/

    snd970714.tgz	(298KB)
		the full sound directory

    gus10a-to-snd970714.diffs.gz (20KB)
	    diffs against amancio's latest version, guspnp10a

    snd970711-to-snd970714.diffs.gz
	    diffs against my previous snap, snap970711

I have merged all of amancio's patches found in guspnp9 and guspnp10a
(including replacement of ulaw.h with his newer version).

The new snap contains the following:

    - some notes on the structure of the driver (see README.LUIGI);

    - a first attempt at removing all the CONFIGURE_SOUNDCARD, CONFIG_XXX
      macros. Whenever I could understand that it worked, I tested
      NSND, NSB, NGUS ...  and other macros, which are generated by the
      config program, and thus less error prone;

      My goal is to have the "config" program take care of the
      configuration process, avoiding the mess which is now in
      local.h . As a matter of fact I am not too far from a working
      solution, I am just looking for a way to reduce the kernel
      bloat which is involved with my approach (which is no worse
      than the current one).

    - more cleanup and removal of unused code and variables; this also
      involves some prototypes;

    - some timer function moved from soundcard.c to sequencer.c, where
      they are used.

    - in some drivers I have removed the calls to the probe() routine
      from the attach routine. I am going to do this on other drivers
      as well.

TODO (AND PLEASE IF YOU HAVE IDEAS ON THIS, SEND YOUR COMMENTS TO ME OR
TO THE MULTIMEDIA LIST):

    - prepare a list of good entries for the configuration file. Those
      with working hardware can please send a copy of the relevant lines
      in their config files ?

    - do the files in i386/isa/sound/freebsd have any purpose, or
      we can nuke them ?

    - there are some missing lines in i386/conf/files.i386, so that
      some pieces of the driver are never compiled in. Again,
      suggestions are welcome.

	Cheers
	Luigi