Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:28:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
To:        jflists@calweb.com
Cc:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

Quoth jfesler@calweb.com on Thu, 24 July:
:
: We actively block any SMTP session where the MAIL FROM: command  lacks a
: valid DNS entry.

Okay, this is another issue entirely.  You are requiring that every
piece of mail have a return path out to the Internet leaf node, yes?
(Coming to an understanding with one correspondent evidently does
not mean that one has come to understand all correspondents!)
That does not guarantee a return path, because there may be further
transports beyond the edge of the Internet, but probably gets you one
in the vast majority of cases.

As I understand it, you are only bouncing mail which cannot be replied
*through* a valid MX or A.  I'm guessing that you could probably
construct a valid address from the various "Received:" headers in many
such cases, though.

I suppose this will help to reject casual spam, but it seems to me a
misdirected effort, since most spam, particularly the large-volume
stuff from the pros, will not get filtered in this way.  The only
way I can see to do that is to maintain a large kill list.