Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:55:20 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mrtg missing incoming traffic?

In the last episode (Jul 28), Gary Schrock said:
> Ok, for anyone that might be using the mrtg port, has anyone ever
> noticed a problem where the incoming traffic just vanishes?  If you
> look at http://ancient.anguish.org/~piper/ you can see that the graph
> was working fine, then just completely disappeared.  Meanwhile the
> outbound traffic graph is still displaying perfectly fine.  Anyone
> have any ideas?
>
> Setup is freebsd-2.1-stable, the ucd-snmp port, and the mrtg port.

I had two problems with mrtg; one is that is assumes malloc()d data is
zeroed (simply replace all malloc(x) calls with calloc(1,x).  This
screws up the initial creation of the logfiles.  You may not see this
unless you have MALLOC_OPTIONS set to 'J'.

The other problem I had was with the authors use of
` $variable = sprintf("%.0f",eval($$rcfg{target}{$rou})); ' in a few
places. On one of the perls I tried (5.002 on a Linux box), the sprintf
would return 0 if the number being printed was above LONG_MAX.  Try
changing the assignments to ` $variable = eval($$rcfg{target}{$rou}; '
and see what happens.

After I fixed those two items, it worked great.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com