Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 03:53:16 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        ahd@kew.com
Cc:        andrew@python.shoal.net.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HOTMAIL.COM, JUNO.COM, etc....

   Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 20:15:32 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>

   However, the cheaper it is is define a user id on a site, the more
   likely it is is that a spammer will use it.  Hotmail and Juno, being
   free, makes them easy targets.

Are you sure juno is free?  I thought you paid like $5 a month.

   Most of the SPAM I've seen recently has been from either large
   sites (usally forged) or totally bogus names -- Earthlink, CIS,
   AOL, ATT, and Hotmail seem popular for return addresses this month.
   This could be because it is hard to ban such legitmate large sites
   -- I lose two family family members if I ban ATT, one if I ban
   Hotmail, and one if I ban Prodigy.  (And this doesn't count friends,
   FreeBSD hackers, etc.)

   I actually accept mail only from such large sites when the mail
   comes from a relay within the domain, and I also don't let their
   relays send me mail from third party sites.  Both rules cut down
   on the SPAM, since mismatches indicate forged mail.  (These rules
   required a sendmail source hack ... *sigh*)

So what happens if I set my address to devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu, but
I send the message from some random dialup of some random ISP in Hawaii?

Doesn't that mean my mail will get lost?