Date:      Mon, 04 Aug 1997 17:57:39 -0500
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maximum Tape Block Size?

A year or so ago I recall Jordan had an SGI DAT tape with 256k blocksize
which wouldn't read on FreeBSD. Am wondering how this problem was
eventually solved?

Checking the archives I found mention of MAXBSIZE which appears to be
defined in /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h (grep the whole /usr/src tree and
you'll find a couple).

The comments in param.h suggest this value can be increased without harm to
existing filesystems but suggests any new filesystems created may require
this value in the future to function.

If I increase MAXBSIZE in param.h will it do what I think; allow reading
those darned 256k-blocked tapes? Applications of interest: gtar, pax, dd,
tcopy.

If I can make this work I can replace a couple of Suns (which can't read
the tapes either) with FreeBSD systems.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net